Thursday, October 13, 2011

Twice Baked Potatoes

Sorry for the long break from the blogging world. My husband and I have moved back to the Mid West and have been busy house hunting and settling into our new routines.  I wanted to blog about a bunch of new recipes I have tried, but sadly I have my camera in storage so I haven't been able to take pictures of my cooking.  I always hate cookbooks that don't include a picture of the finished product, so I will wait to post those recipes until I am reunited with my camera.  I have some pictures of recipes stored on my computer so I will be blogging about these recipes in the meantime.  Since it is now fall, I will be uploading some warm and hearty recipes great for the cooler weather. 


Let's start with an all-time favorite: Twice Baked Potatoes!  Very tasting and not too much work.  These are great to put in the freezer and then at the last minute just reheat and enjoy.  I have used these at Christmas as a starch instead of mashed potatoes. They are great paired with pork tenderloin, chicken, fish, or steak.  They even make for a nice lunch the next day. Give these a try and I am sure all of your family will be requesting you to make them again.






Twice Baked Potatoes  Yield: 8 servings


4 large baking potatoes
4 slices of bacon
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste 
shredded cheddar cheese for topping


Wash potatoes and prick with a fork.  Bake potatoes in 375* oven for 45-60 minutes, depending on size of potatoes.  


While potatoes are baking, cook 4 slices of bacon in a skillet and drain on paper towel.


When potatoes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes.  Cut each potato in half lengthwise.  Scoop out inside of potato leaving a little around the edges.  Place potato skins in greased baking dish. 


Mash the potato you scooped out with milk, sour cream, butter, salt, and pepper.  Add additional milk if needed.  Place the mashed potatoes back inside the potato skins.  Top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.  


Return to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and potato is heated through.


Helpful Tip:


If you are in a hurry, you can cook the potatoes in the microwave on a baked potato setting. Just prick with your fork and wrap the potato in a wet paper towel.  You could also cook the bacon in the microwave by placing the slices on top of 2 paper towels and topping with an additional paper towel.  Cook 3-3.5 minutes until crispy.  Mash the potatoes, scoop into skins, top with cheese and bacon crumbles, and return to the microwave for an additional 2 minutes.  




Sweet Dreams,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment