Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

With only a couple basic ingredients, you can have soft and warm tortillas in no time!  I like to make these at the beginning of the week when I plan on making tacos for Mexican night and then use any leftovers for sandwich wraps later in the week.  You can turn these into homemade chips by cutting into triangles, brush with oil, salt, and bake until crispy.  The original recipe I found said to use shortening, however, I hardly have that on hand if I am not baking cakes, so I substitute vegetable oil and it always turns out wonderfully.  Give these a try and you will never buy store bought tortillas again!


Yield: 12-15 tortillas


2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup hot water
1 tsp salt


Combine ingredients in a large bowl and knead to fully incorporate.  








Divide dough into equal portions.  Cover and let rest 30 minutes. (Usually I am impatient and cover dough with damp paper towel while I am rolling each ball out instead of waiting the full 30 minutes).




On a lightly floured surface roll out dough with rolling pin until as thin as possible.  I usually make mine the size of a frying pan and thin so I can almost see the counter top through it.  








Cook in skillet over medium high heat about 30 minutes each side popping any bubbles that form.  








Cover with towel to keep warm while making the rest of the tortillas.  


Store in Ziploc bag.


Sweet Dreams,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment