Friday, June 10, 2011

Fried Tacos AKA Chalupas!!!


Yesterday was Mexican dinner night at our house.  I usually make my own flour tortillas for my tacos or quesadillas.  But I wanted to try something a little different last night.  I came across a recipe for fried tacos and thought I would give it a try.  These were easy to make and tasted just like Chalupas from Taco Bell.  As you can tell in the picture above, I couldn't wait to take a bite and see what they tasted like. I will be making these again!

Yields: 10 taco shells

2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp oil
1 cup warm milk

1 cup (or as needed) oil for frying

Combine flour, baking powder, salt in mixing bowl.



Heat milk in microwave for 45 seconds and add to mixing bowl along with oil.
Mix on kitchen aid number 3 for 5 minutes or knead by hand for 10 minutes.  You may need additional flour so dough doesn't stick to surface.




Divide dough into 10 balls and roll out into 5 inch circles.  Press middle of circle to flatten to avoid bubble when frying. (Note: I first divided into 8 balls but taco shells were big so I pinched a little off each and made 10 taco shells total)





Heat oil in skillet. I had mine stove top set at number 6 out of 10 (so medium heat) the whole time. 

Carefully, place dough in hot oil and fry 30-45 seconds until golden brown.  



Turn over and brown other side additional 30-45 seconds until browned.




Drain on paper towels.



Enjoy with your favorite taco toppings and a cold beer!



Helpful Tips:

I used an extra 1/2 cup flour to flour my hands, rolling pin, and counter top when rolling out dough.

Be very careful when placing dough in oil to fry and flipping dough over to cook the other side. I place the dough in the pan away from me so that if any oil does splash up a little it is not going to hurt me! I also used two metal spatulas to help turn the dough.  

Have a sharp knife to help pop any bubbles as they form.  This helps for even cooking and less oil jumping out at you J

Make sure to tap off any loose flour before dough in oil.  I forgot and that is why my oil looks brown from burnt flour L  You will also want to have your fan on so you don’t set off the smoke alarm! Let’s just say I think our neighbors were wondering what the heck I was cooking!!

Top taco shells with refried beans, ground taco meat, lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, cheese...whatever you like on your taco!!!

These are amazing with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top for dessert.  They tasted like a cinnamon sugar doughnut!  I think I might have to try them as doughnuts in a later blog post!


Sweet Dreams,
Cindy



No comments:

Post a Comment