Thursday, June 30, 2011

Funnel Cakes


This recipe will be a favorite for kids of all ages.  When I was in high school, my Mom would make funnel cakes for my friends when we would hang out at our house during the summer.  We have also been making these for the 4th of July for several years now.  To keep the tradition going, I will post my recipe and hope that you too will enjoy it and get as many wonderful memories as I have!


Yield: 6-8 Funnel Cakes

3 cups of flour
2 tsp baking powdered
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups milk
4 T orange or lemon juice
Oil for frying
Powdered sugar, cool whip, fresh berries for topping

Mix ingredients together in a bowl.  Batter will be similar to pancake batter but a little more runny. 



Transfer some batter into a glass measuring cup to help pour into pan.

Heat 1/2 in deep oil in a skillet on medium high heat.  Test to check if oil is hot enough by dripping some batter into the oil.  If it sizzles and floats to the top, it is ready.



Carefully, drizzle batter into oil.  I make a couple circles around and then try to make star patterns with the batter to connect all the swirls together. 




Fry until golden brown.  Carefully turn the funnel cake over and fry the other side.

Remove from oil and set on paper towels to drain excess oil.


Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.  Serve as is or add cool whip and berries for an extra special treat!



Last month, I wanted to make something unique for my Dad's birthday "cake" and knew he would enjoy a personal funnel cake topped with powdered sugar, cool whip, and strawberries!  When I brought the funnel cake over to him with the candles lit, his eyes opened wide and jaw dropped. Needless to say he was impressed and we all really enjoyed the sweet treat.





I wanted to upload this recipe before the 4th of July weekend!  This is one of my favorite holidays.  It is usually spent having BBQ's, corn on the cob, watermelon seed spitting contests, swimming, singing, and fireworks! Whatever your plans are, remember to say a prayer thanking God for protecting our beautiful country and blessing us to be a part of the Greatest Nation on Earth.  


Happy Birthday, America!!!




Sweet Dreams,
Cindy



1 comment: