Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Key Lime Pie

****UPDATE****  I made this pie again a couple days ago for a dinner party.  I added 1/2 cup of sour cream to the filling and 1 drop of green food coloring to make it look more like a LIME pie...the result was HEAVEN!!!!  It had a very smooth creamy texture almost like a cheesecake.  I served it with cool whip on top instead of the meringue and it helped to make it not so rich and sweet!  I will definitely use this recipe many more times in the future!!! Here are some photos.  ( I still need to learn how to focus my camera when taking pictures, sorry it's blurry)








I thought I would take a little break from my bread series and do a post on a dessert.  I still have more bread recipes to share such as pita bread, tortillas, and cinnamon rolls.




This key lime pie recipe is very easy since it is basically mix in a blender and then baked!  The tartness of the lime reminds me of summer!  Perfect for a summer dinner party or birthday celebration!

Homemade Graham Cracker Pie Crust:

1 sleeve graham crackers
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar

·       Place graham crackers in large gallon size ziplock bag and crush with rolling pin.
·       Add sugar and melted butter to bag.  Shake until all crumbs are moistened.
·       Press crumbs into nicely greased pie dish.
·       Bake 375* 12 minutes.  Cool while making pie filling.




Key Lime Pie Filling:

1/2 cup lime juice
5 egg yolks
zest of 2 limes
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
1 drop of green food coloring (optional)

·       Place ingredients in blender and blend until combined (30 seconds).
·       Pour on top of  graham cracker crust.
·       Bake 375* 25 minutes.

Meringue Topping:

5 egg whites
6 Tbsp white granulated sugar

·       Mix egg whites and sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form.  This may take a couple minutes.  
·       Spread meringue on top of pie making sure to seal the edges.
·       Bake 375* 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Be careful not to burn tips.




Allow pie to cool to room temperature and then store in refrigerator.  Serve chilled with a slice of lime!

Helpful Tips:

This pie recipe is also good with whipped cream on top instead of the meringue. However, I wanted to use up the egg whites so I chose to do a meringue topping.  

You can also use a premade pie crust to make this even easier!





Sweet Dreams,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment