Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

I love blender recipes!!! I found this recipe a while ago and have been wanting to try it ever since.  I rarely have a can of sweetened condensed milk in my pantry since I have a sweet tooth and bake something with it right away! Typically, I use sweetened condensed milk in my Mom's recipe of Welcome Home Bars which are very similar to Seven Layer Bars.  Ahh, Heaven!!  

This was a very easy recipe (made in a blender) and I could not believe how much it resembled the real product.  I will be using this recipe for sweetened condensed milk from now on since it is a lot cheaper and I always have the ingredients on hand.

Here is a picture of the instant nonfat powdered milk if you have never used it before.



Yields: 1 (14 oz) can Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 1/3 cups of Instant Powdered Milk (found in a box in the baking isle) 
3/4 cup Plus 3 Tbsp of white granulated sugar
1/3 cup Plus 2 Tbsp boiling water
3 Tbsp melted butter


·       Place all ingredients in a blender.  
·       Cover with lid and blend for 1 minute. 
·       Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and store in refrigerator until ready to use. 

I poured the finished product into a glass measuring cup and it came out to be 12 ounces instead of 14 ounces. But, when I used this sweetened condensed milk in my Key Lime Pie recipe and it worked great.  I made the sweetened condensed milk first and kept it in the fridge until I was ready for the key lime pie filling. The finished pie was nice and creamy just like I used a store bought can of milk.




I hope you give this a try the next time you need sweetened condensed milk in a recipe!


Sweet Dreams,
Cindyhttp://cindyloubakesforyou.blogspot.com/2011/06/key-lime-pie.html

No comments:

Post a Comment