Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bunny Rolls & Hot Dog Buns


I know I mentioned earlier that my daily bread dough is very versatile so I thought I would share some more ideas for how you can use the dough.  Both of these ideas would be an entertaining way to let your children be involved in making a meal for the family!


Before I jump in, I wanted to show a picture of what the dough should look like when it is doubled in size after its first rise.  When you are finished kneading the dough, it will form a nice ball shape.  After the dough had rested for about an hour it will look like this 



Now you can punch down the dough and divide into portions for Hot Dog Buns.  I can still use some work at shaping the hot dog buns, but here is a picture of my first attempt.  They kind of look more like hoagies but tasted great!




You can also make Bunny Rolls by pinching off small portions of dough and rolling them out into a thin rope.  If you have kids, this would be a fun way to get them involved and help preparing their meal since all kids are experts at making snakes with play dough!


After dough is rolled into a rope shape, take both ends and twist them together twice (this becomes the bunny's head and ears), Twisting the ends together creates a little hole like you would have with a twist-tie around a bag of bread .  Take a little piece of dough, roll into a ball and place into the center of the hole ( this becomes the bunny's body). Place these on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400* for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Here is a picture of the finished Bunny Roll.  These are perfect for Easter and the children will love them!





I think this second roll looks a little more like a bunny!  If you have cloves, you could place those in for the eyes before baking. 


Sweet Dreams,
Cindy


No comments:

Post a Comment